Dermal fillers have taken the cosmetic world by storm.
This quick anti-aging treatment can provide astonishing results, restoring years worth of volume loss. Perfect for men and women on the go, dermal fillers offer immediate results with little to no downtime. Dr. Arslanian is one of Atlanta’s top board certified plastic surgeons. He has two convenient locations, one in northern Atlanta and one in Jonesboro, Georgia. Contact Dr. Arslanian today to request a consultation to see if fillers are the right anti-aging treatment for you.
About Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers are soft tissue fillers used to address signs of facial aging. There is essentially a dermal filler for nearly every fine line and wrinkle. There are also fillers specifically designed to augment the lips and cheeks. There are different types of dermal fillers in terms of the actual composition of the product. The most popular, and Dr. Arslanian’s preferred filler, is hyaluronic acid.
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid is the basis of many well-known fillers such as the Juvéderm and Restylane lines. Hyaluronic acid is a soft, gel product that can be used throughout the face to create a very natural look.
It is also very safe because it is easily reversible, unlike other fillers, like Artefill or Bellafill. If the patient is not happy with their results, or there is an unforeseen complication, the filler can be dissolved with another in office injection quickly and painlessly. The Juvéderm and Restylane families of fillers all use this formulation to deliver fantastic results. Depending on the area the patient wants treatment, Dr. Arslanian will help decide which filler is right for them.
How are Dermal Fillers Used?
There are many different ways that fillers can be used to enhance and volumize facial tissue. They are excellent for treating fine lines and wrinkles, replacing lost volume, and creating a natural and youthful look to the face. Common areas include smile lines, marionette lines, cheeks, temples, lips, and so much more. Dr. Arslanian can also use dermal fillers to replenish lost volume in the hands that have over prominent veins. When the patient comes in for a consultation, Dr. Arslanian can help them decide which filler or fillers would be best for their individual case. It is not uncommon to inject multiple different formulas to treat different concerns.
Before and After Photos
Men and women concerned with the appearance of facial fine lines or wrinkles or volume loss in the cheeks or lips may be considered good candidates for dermal fillers. However, it is important that patients still have elasticity remaining in their skin. Severe drooping or sagging of the skin may not be improved with dermal fillers. Patients experiencing severely sagging facial skin may be better suited for a surgical procedure, such as a face lift.
Furthermore, patients should be in good health – meaning they are non-smokers and do not drink heavily. They should also have realistic expectations for the outcome of the treatment. It is essential that patients understand that dermal fillers are not permanent and will require continuous maintenance in order to preserve the results.
Prior to receiving any treatments, patients interested in dermal fillers should schedule a consultation with Dr. Arslanian in the greater Atlanta area.
Types of Dermal Fillers
There are many different types of dermal fillers on the market. However, Dr. Arslanian’s preferred type of dermal filler is hyaluronic acid based. The two most popular types of hyaluronic acid fillers are Juvéderm and Restylane.
Juvéderm is a family of dermal fillers used to restore volume to the cheeks, lips, and fine lines and wrinkles on the face. There are different formulas of Juvéderm that are each uniquely designed in order to address specific facial aging concerns.
- Juvéderm XC: The original Juvéderm formula was created in order to help smooth the appearance of lines and wrinkles around the nose and mouth, including parentheses, marionette, and corner lines. It is proven to provide results for a full year.
- Juvéderm Vollure XC: Similar to Juvéderm XC, Juvéderm Vollure XC helps soften lines and wrinkles around the nose and mouth. The subtle, yet noticeable, results are proven to last up to 18 months.
- Juvéderm Voluma XC: With age, the cheeks lose volume and can begin to sag. Voluma is designed to help lift and contour the cheeks, giving them a more youthful appearance.
- Juvéderm Ultra XC: This formula adds temporary fullness to the lips. It is proven to last up to one year.
- Juvéderm Volbella XC: Like Juvéderm Ultra XC, Juvéderm Volbella XC also adds volume and fullness to the lips. Furthermore, this formula helps smooth the appearance of vertical lip lines. This formula lasts up to one year.
Restylane is another popular family of dermal fillers. It provides an effective solution to facial wrinkles and folds and a loss or lack of volume in the cheeks and lips. Like Juvéderm, Restylane has a series of unique formulas designed to correct specific facial concerns. Restylane utilizes NASHA technology, which gives the particles in the gel formulas a unique composition to address the following concerns.
- Restylane: This formula has medium sized particles that can address moderate to severe wrinkles and folds. It can be used to treat most facial wrinkles, including nasolabial folds, marionette lines, and chin wrinkles.
- Restylane Silk: This formula has finer particles designed to address fine lines and wrinkles. It is mainly used to augment the lips and smooth fine vertical lip lines.
- Restylane Lyft: Larger particles in this formula help address the most severe wrinkles and add the greatest amount of volume. It is FDA approved to add volume to and contour the cheeks. It can also be used to address severe nasolabial folds.
Two of Restylane’s other formulas, Restylane Refyne and Restylane Defyne, utilize XpresHAn technology to provide greater flexibility so patients preserve their natural facial expressions.
- Restylane Refyne: This formula smooths mild to moderate lines, including nasolabial folds and marionette lines.
- Restylane Defyne: Defyne utilizes unique cross-linking technology to help correct the appearance of deeper lines around the nose and mouth, including nasolabial folds and marionette lines, without prohibiting natural expressions.
At the time of the consultation, Dr. Arslanian will help the patient determine the best formulas to address their concerns.
Restylane Kysse is an advanced new facial filler that’s already all the rage in Europe. It’s made with “Expression Technology,” so it smooths wrinkles and lines while allowing the face to move naturally. Kiss that “overfilled” look goodbye because Restylane Kysse provides subtle support for lip enhancement, as well. Our clients report less swelling with Restylane Kysse because of its unique hyaluronic acid-based formula. So plump your pucker to smooth, pillowy perfection with the latest, great lip filler from the Restylane family of products!
- Expression Technology erases wrinkles, not your smile
- Provides subtle support to the lips
- Less swelling than other fillers
Dermal Fillers vs Botox Cosmetic
While Botox is another minimally invasive injectable used to treat signs of aging on the face, it is not a dermal filler. Dermal fillers are primarily used to treat static lines and wrinkles. These are wrinkles that form as a result of a loss of collagen to the face. Botox treats dynamic lines and wrinkles, which form as a result of repeated muscle contractions.
The FDA has approved Botox for the treatment of horizontal forehead lines, vertical frown lines, and crow’s feet. However, Dr. Arslanian has found there to be dozens of other effective treatments for Botox, including providing the appearance of a temporary brow lift, neck banding, and excessive sweating.
Dr. Arslanian can help the patient determine whether or not they would benefit from dermal fillers or Botox – perhaps even both! There is no harm in combining both dermal fillers and Botox in order to address complex signs of facial aging.
How Long do Dermal Fillers Last?
The results from dermal fillers may be seen right away but will continue to improve over the course of 1-2 weeks. Dermal fillers can last anywhere from 6 months to 2 years depending on the product used and the amount injected. The great thing about these products is that they all stimulate collagen production, so that over time less filler may be required as the body builds up its own framework of collagen. Nonetheless, patients will require regular injections in order to maintain optimal results.
Prior to receiving any injectables, Dr. Arslanian requests that new patients come in for a one-on-one consultation. During this time, the doctor will examine the patient in order to determine whether or not they would be a good candidate for dermal fillers. In some cases, the patient may believe that they need dermal fillers, when in fact they would be a better candidate for Botox or even a facelift. Dr. Arslanian will use his expertise in order to recommend the best treatment for the patient.
During the consultation, it is important to be honest with Dr. Arslanian about the patient’s goals for the treatment. This will help the doctor achieve the patient’s desired results. Please also inform the doctor of any past treatments or surgeries that the patient has had, medical conditions, or medications that they take. This is important information to know in order to ensure the patient’s safety.
Once the doctor has had the opportunity to examine the patient, he will work with the patient to develop a custom treatment plan. Once the treatment plan has been created, he will then be able to offer a price quote. Since dermal filler treatment is uniquely customized to each individual, it is important that the patient comes in for a consultation prior to receiving a quote.
Dr. Arslanian has two convenient locations in Atlanta and Jonesboro, Georgia. Please contact one of his offices today in order to request a dermal filler consultation.