ProfoundRF is a radiofrequency (RF) microneedling device that rejuvenates and smooths the skin. It was the first device of its kind to receive FDA clearance for use on both the face and body. This system uses RF energy to reduce wrinkles and improve cellulite without the need for surgery, or more invasive procedures. The RF energy is delivered to the deep layers of your tissue and creates a carefully controlled thermal effect. This results in immediate and long-term skin tightening. The same RF energy coagulates adipose tissue and remodels cellulite in deeper skin layers, which results in visible cellulite improvement.
In Brookhaven, Georgia, Dr. Brian Arslanian, a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon, has been using the ProfoundRF device in his practice for years. “I’ve seen great results in both men and women of all skin types,” he says. “It’s a versatile device that can be used to improve the face, neck, chest, arms, and legs.” Ready to see the results for yourself? Schedule a consultation with Dr. Arslanian today by calling (678) 894-9200 or by filling out our contact form.
And be sure to follow Dr. Arslanian’s blog to stay up-to-date on the latest facial plastic surgery news and information.
- 1 All About ProfoundRF
- 2 What are the Benefits of ProfoundRF?
- 3 Candidates for ProfoundRF
- 4 Personal Consultation
- 5 The ProfoundRF Procedure
- 6 Recovery After ProfoundRF
- 7 What are the Results of Radiofrequency Microneedling?
- 8 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 9 What is the Cost of ProfoundRF in Brookhaven, GA?
- 10 References
All About ProfoundRF
The Profound radiofrequency (RF) microneedling device is a minimally-invasive aesthetic treatment that uses RF energy to stimulate collagen production. It is FDA-cleared for the treatment of wrinkles, skin laxity, cellulite, and more.
With ProfoundRF, patients who are unhappy with sagging skin or lack of volume around the mouth, cheeks, and neck can rejuvenate their appearance quickly and easily. The Profound handheld device uses tiny needles to deliver radio-frequency technology precisely where it is needed. The heat released at a precise temperature and depth helps improve your appearance without surgery or extended recovery times.
Sagging skin around the face, jawline, and neck is generally one of the first signs that people notice when aging. However, what many don’t know is that intrinsic aging – also known as the natural aging process – begins in our mid-20s. Lifestyle choices such as diet and personal habits often act together with intrinsic aging to make our skin age faster than it should. Premature aging can also include photo-aging, which is mostly caused by sun exposure.
Profound RF can target:
- Loose skin on the face and neck
- A double chin
- Sagging or loose skin on the body
- The dimpled appearance of the skin on the legs and buttocks, which is caused by fat deposits (cellulite)
- Excessive sweating
- Acne scarring
- Large pores
The ProfoundRF device uses a microneedling handpiece to deliver RF energy to the skin via sterile single-use needles. The needles create microscopic channels in the skin, which allow for the delivery of RF energy to the deep dermis and subcutaneous tissue, which results in tissue contraction and the production of new collagen and elastin. The production of these vital skin-tightening agents leads to a reduction in the appearance of wrinkles and skin laxity.  Radiofrequency energy also causes thermogenesis, which leads to the destruction of fat cells. 
What is Radiofrequncy?
Radiofrequency (RF) energy is a type of electromagnetic radiation. When you hear radiation, you may think of ionizing radiation, such as x-rays and gamma rays, which can harm DNA. However, RF energy is non-ionizing, meaning it does not damage DNA. Instead, RF energy is used for a variety of purposes, including communications (cell phones), medical diagnosis and treatment, and heating.
RF radiation has a range of frequencies from 30 kilohertz to 300 gigahertz. The Profound device delivers RF energy at a frequency of 27.12 MHz. To put it in perspective, your cell phone delivers RF energy at a frequency of around 50 to 2700 MHz. 
Radiofrequency energy heats up the skin by creating an electrical current; this current passes through the skin and causes the underlying tissues to heat up. The heat from the current helps to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin in the skin, which can help to improve the appearance of wrinkles and other signs of aging. The Profound device is safe because the RF energy is delivered at a precise depth, temperature, and volume to ensure that the skin is heated evenly and not damaged.
What are the Benefits of ProfoundRF?
Microneedling with ProfoundRF can help you achieve better-looking skin. A 2013 study, for example, found that the procedure reduced wrinkles around the eyes and that the effects lasted longer than those of Botox injections.  ProfoundRF can also help reduce loose, saggy skin on the face and improve the skin’s texture and size of your pores. 
ProfoundRF for Hyperhidrosis
A 2019 study found that this procedure can effectively stop hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating by reducing the number and size of sweat glands.  Excessive sweating is a common problem that can be embarrassing and difficult to control. Hyperhidrosis is often treated with Botox injections, but these injections only last for a few months.
ProfoundRF Can Benefit Acne Scars
A 2014 study found that radiofrequency microneedling moderately improved acne scars in 58% of participants.  Furthermore, similar results were found in a study of patients with darker skin tones.  Acne scarring can make patients feel self-conscious and can be difficult to treat. If you are struggling with acne scars, ProfoundRF may be a treatment option for you.
Candidates for ProfoundRF
Brookhaven, GA men and women of all ages could benefit from this procedure if they wish to:
- Tighten their skin for a more youthful appearance
- Improve the feel and tone of their skin
- Address skin irregularities such as discoloration and blood vessels
- Reduce the appearance of sun spots and age spots
- Rejuvenate skin for a younger glowing look
- Reduce the look of cellulite with consistent usage
During your consultation, you will discuss your goals for the procedure with Dr. Arslanian. He will examine your skin to determine if Profound is the best treatment for you. If it is, he will develop a customized treatment plan for you.
The ProfoundRF Procedure
The ProfoundRF treatment is a minimally-invasive procedure that does not require anesthesia or sedation. During your procedure, a small handpiece will be used to deliver energy below the skin’s surface. The energy will heat the tissue and stimulate the growth of new collagen and elastin. The handpiece will be passed over the treatment area multiple times in order to deliver the energy evenly.
Here are the steps you can expect during treatment:
- Your technician will cleanse your skin to prevent infection.
- One hour before the procedure, they will apply a topical anesthetic to the treatment area. In some cases, we might inject a local anesthetic instead. The anesthetic numbs the area so you won’t feel discomfort.
- The microneedling device creates small injuries to the skin while at the same time, radiofrequency waves are emitted from the needle tip into those wounds.
- The length of the procedure varies depending on what you’re treating, but it’s usually around 10-20 minutes.
- The session will finish with a soothing solution to minimize any discomfort.
And that’s it! You will be out the door and on with your day. Why not schedule a session during your lunch break?
Recovery After ProfoundRF
Apply ice packs to reduce swelling and discomfort. Remember to wear SPF for several weeks after your treatment as directed, as your skin will be extra sensitive to the sun during this time. If prescribed, use antibiotic creams or emollients. Use a gentle cleanser after your treatment. For the next day, avoid wearing makeup but afterward this time, you can return to your normal makeup application and skincare routine.
Although radiofrequency microneedling is typically well tolerated, it may occasionally result in some side effects, including:
- Dry or red skin
- Itching or Scaling
- Possible mild acne flare-up
- If you’re prone to cold sores, we may prescribe an antiviral medication to prevent a breakout
These side effects will likely go away after a day or two.
If you experience any of the following, or your side effects do not clear up after a day or two, it may be indicative of a bigger problem that requires medical attention. In such case, please reach out to Dr. Arslanian if you feel you have:
- Lingering swelling, redness, bruising, fatigue, headache
- Signs of Infection: fever, chills, body aches
- Persisting Swelling or Redness: increase in size or duration of symptoms
- Prolonged Bleeding: bleeding that lasts longer than expected
- Bruising: discoloration of the skin
What are the Results of Radiofrequency Microneedling?
Depending on the type and severity of your condition, you’ll start seeing results anywhere from 3 to 6 months after treatment.
The number of sessions you’ll need largely depends on the severity of your condition. For example, if you have moderate acne scars, you’ll probably only need three or four treatments. However, bigger scars might require five treatments. These sessions will be done every 3 to 8 weeks. This lets your skin heal between treatments.
The results of the initial treatments will last for approximately one year, after which it is recommended to have annual touch-up sessions.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Needling procedures are often combined with other treatments such as fillers, or PRP to further enhance results. Speak with Dr. Arslanian during your consultation about how to get the most out of your Profound treatment.
What is the Cost of ProfoundRF in Brookhaven, GA?
The cost of ProfoundRF varies depending on the number of sessions you need and the size of the treatment area. During your consultation, Dr. Arslanian will develop a personalized treatment plan for you and provide you with an estimate of the cost. To make treatment more affordable, we offer financing for our patients so everyone can enjoy the benefits of this incredible technology.
If you’re looking for a way to rejuvenate your skin and improve your overall appearance, contact us today to schedule a consultation. We would be happy to answer any questions you have about ProfoundRF or any of our other treatments. Call (678) 894-9200 today!
- El-Domyati M, El-Ammawi TS, Medhat W, et al. Radiofrequency facial rejuvenation: Evidence-based effect. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2011;64(3):524-535. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2010.06.045
- da Silva RMV, Santos JC, de Carvalho WLM, et al. Effects of Ultracavitation and Radiofrequency on Abdominal Adiposity. The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology. 2022;15(1):E66-E71. Accessed November 3, 2022. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8903231/
- World Health Organization: WHO. Electromagnetic fields and public health: mobile phones. Who.int. Published October 8, 2014. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/electromagnetic-fields-and-public-health-mobile-phones
- Jeon IK, Chang SE, Park GH, Roh MR. Comparison of Microneedle Fractional Radiofrequency Therapy with Intradermal Botulinum Toxin A Injection for Periorbital Rejuvenation. Dermatology. 2013;227(4):367-372. doi:10.1159/000356162
- Kornstein AN. Intramuscular Insertion of a Radiofrequency Microneedling Device for Facial Rejuvenation: A New Technique and Case Reports. Aesthetic Surgery Journal Open Forum. 2020;2(1). doi:10.1093/asjof/ojz035
- Elawar A, Dahan S. Non-insulated Fractional Microneedle Radiofrequency Treatment with Smooth Motor Insertion for Reduction of Depressed Acne Scars, Pore Size, and Skin Texture Improvement. The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology. 2018;11(8):41-44. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6122511/
- Perez Rivera F. Pilot study for permanent resolution of axillary hyperhidrosis: elimination of sweat glands with intradermal microneedle radiofrequency. European Journal of Plastic Surgery. 2019;42(2):161-168. doi:10.1007/s00238-018-1470-8
- Chandrashekar B, Sriram R, Mysore R, Bhaskar S, Shetty A. Evaluation of microneedling fractional radiofrequency device for treatment of acne scars. Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery. 2014;7(2):93. doi:10.4103/0974-2077.138328
- Pudukadan D. Treatment of Acne Scars on Darker Skin Types Using a Noninsulated Smooth Motion, Electronically Controlled Radiofrequency Microneedles Treatment System. Dermatologic Surgery. 2017;43:S64-S69. doi:10.1097/dss.0000000000000894